Applicants should be excellently proven in the field of „High-Performance Large-Engine Systems“ through professional practice and scientific activity, and represent the subject internationally in research and teaching.
The professorship will be established, together with the professorship for Sustainable Propulsion Systems and Applied Thermodynamics, as a key position in the faculty for research and development in the field of renewable energies. The cooperation with the Large Engines Competence Center (LEC), which is to be further scientifically developed, will be one of the main duties.
For teaching, the applicant is expected to have a strong command on large-engines technology on the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels. Close cooperation across borders of institutes and faculties, as well as internationally, is expected. Active cooperation in the academic self-administration, and a strong commitment for the development of the interdisciplinary fields of research of TU Graz, called the Fields of Expertise, are also expected, as well as the cooperation with the departments established at the Institute of Thermodynamics and Sustainable Propulsion Systems.
The focus of this professorship is on sustainable propulsion systems for ships, locomotives, mining trucks etc. and on highly flexible power systems („Power plant of the future“) on the basis of large engines. For reaching the aims in limiting climate change in these fields of application, power-to-x fuels will be crucial. Therefore, research on alternative fuels (hydrogen, ammonia, methanol, Fischer-Tropsch fuels, etc.) will be crucial. Further to combustion research on the basis of simulations and experiments in engines and basic experimental setups, crucial importance lies in the optimization of energy and
transport system networks – including carbon-capture systems, alternative energy converters and new storage technologies.
Further emphasis lies on life-cycle and overall system analyses, as well as on the integration of concepts
for digitization (i.e., of real and virtual sensors, data transfer systems, condition-based monitoring and
maintenance, data-based models for deriving operation strategies, etc.).
Required candidate profile
- PhD-level university education, in a discipline relevant for the position,
- excellent scientific qualification in research and teaching (habilitation or equivalent scientific record),
- international basic and applied research network,
- leadership, with the qualification to guide and develop a university team or an organizational unit.
Good command of English (Level C1) is required for an excellent representation of the field on an international level. Teaching in English and German is required, where the language on the Bachelor’s level is German. For teaching and for management at the institute, in the faculty and in commissions of the University, command of German on the C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is required, which must be present or acquired within the first year.
The transfer of residence to the area of Graz is required.
- Relevant industry experience and excellent contacts in science and business,
- experience in the acquisition of third-party funding and the application for and coordination of funded research projects,
- excellent didactic skills and experience,
- ability to work in a team and cooperativity,
- competence in leadership, gender and diversity.
Support for Women, Equal Opportunities and Diversity
Graz University of Technology aims to increase the proportion of women, in particular in management and academic staff, and therefore qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. In case of under-representation, preference will be given to women if applicants are equally qualified.
Graz University of Technology actively promotes diversity and equal opportunities. Applicants are not to be discriminated in personnel selection procedures on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, religion or ideology, age, sexual orientation (anti-discrimination).
People with disabilities, and who have the relevant qualifications, are expressly invited to apply.
Candidates should submit their detailed application in English
- using the application form sheet of TU Graz (reference to attachments and CV may be given) at https://www.tugraz.at/go/Professorships-vacancies,
- presenting their CV and scientific record in teaching and research or in industries (copies of certificates and documents attached),
- displaying their planned activities in research and teaching and for the development of the team and the institution,
- presenting their publication list and the full texts of their five most important publications (pdf or link)